Ukrainian developer Frogwares have released the launch trailer for Sherlock Holmes The Awakened ahead of the game’s release on 11th April 2023.
A Lovecraft meets Sherlock Holmes crossover, The Awakened is a nerve-racking adventure rebuilt from the ground up with modern graphics and gameplay that puts you up against the legendary Cthulhu Mythos. In the game, a young Sherlock Holmes and John Watson undertake their first case together, a chilling and psyche-shattering mystery that has them confront a secretive, Cthulhu-worshiping cult.
Players must investigate a series of mysterious disappearances in Europe and the US that are apparently linked to a dark cult that worships an Ancient God. You must put a stop to their sinister plans or face unspeakable consequences.
Taking place in 1882, The Awakened lifts the curtain on how Sherlock and John, mere roommates at the time, became the world-famous crime-solving duo.
Per the game’s press release:
For the first time in his life, Sherlock is truly afraid. A man of rationale and reason, he faces an otherworldly entity that defies all logic, and this discovery is as enlightening as it is shattering. The pursuit of the truth pushes Sherlock to the verge of madness, and it’s the only story that Watson will never publish.
The story is a creative re-imagining of what traumatic and sanity-breaking experiences the young detectives could have endured at this crucial point in their relationship. Memories, secrets, and scars that would go on to shape them into the famous yet flawed detective duo the world knows them for.
- Investigate the Cthulhu Mythos as imagined by H.P. Lovecraft and face Eldritch horrors beyond human comprehension
- Play as both Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson and watch the iconic duo develop a profound bond as they embark on a blood-curdling quest that will change them forever
- Fight encroaching insanity as you pursue answers to questions that have no rational explanation whatsoever
- Find clues that will lead you through the famous Baker Street in London, a haunting psych ward in Switzerland, the perilous Louisiana wetlands, and more
- A reimagining of the 2008 title: Rebuilt from the ground up in Unreal Engine, The Awakened boasts modern graphics and animations, an expanded storyline, numerous side quests, and new mechanics including unique insanity gameplay.
Frogwares is the developer responsible for The Sinking City, one of the best Lovecraft games out there, for my money. The Awakened looks to be an evolution of that template mixed with the rich history and lore of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s icon detective. We can wait to get our hands on it.
In addition to the standard release, there’s also a Deluxe Edition which features the base game, Exclusive Pre-Launch DLC — The Sleuth’s Attire (3 costumes), a set of digital wallpapers, and The Whispered Dreams Side Quest Pack, and a Premium Edition which features the base game, Exclusive Pre-Launch DLC — The Sleuth’s Attire (3 costumes), a set of digital wallpapers, The Whispered Dreams Side Quest Pack, Soundtrack, and Artbook.
Sherlock Holmes The Awakened will be available on April 11, 2023, on PC, PS4, PS5, XB1, Xbox Series X/S, and Nintendo Switch.
You can check out the official launch trailer below.