Developed by Dual Effect and Abstract Digital, and published by PQube Limited, Tormented Souls is a new survival horror game inspired by genre classics like the original Resident Evil and Alone in the Dark series. In the game, you take on the role of Caroline Walker as she investigates the mysterious disappearance of twin girls in a terrifying mansion.
With a fresh twist on the fixed perspective adventure, Tormented Souls seeks to modernize the classic survival horror gameplay experience for a new generation.
- Something Evil Lurks at Winterlake: While investigating the disappearance of twin girls at Winterlake, something terrible happens to Caroline Walker. Waking in the dead of night, naked in a bathtub and hooked up to some decrepit medical equipment, Caroline must fight for her life as she explores the halls of an abandoned mansion turned hospital.
- A Nod to the Classics: Tormented Souls deliberately sets out to draw inspiration from classic survival horror. From Resident Evil and Silent Hill to Alone in the Dark, Tormented Souls is a modern take on the fixed-perspective adventure, offering a modernized control scheme and a more dynamic camera while retaining everything that made those games so beloved by fans.
- Keep Your Wits About You: You’ll need much more than a steady aim and sharp reflexes to make it out alive. Search the environment for anything you can use to your advantage. Cleverly combine items to solve puzzles and use every resource available to explore the secrets of the mansion and its grounds.
- Another Dimension: Nothing is quite as it seems at Winterlake. Mirrors provide a path to an alternate reality and another place in time. By crossing these shimmering gateways, Caroline can manipulate the very fabric of reality in surprising ways, turning the situation to her advantage.
- You Are Not Alone in the Dark: The mansion may seem abandoned, but as Caroline investigates its secrets, dark forces and unspeakable horrors will do everything in their power to stop her getting to the truth. Be sure to be alert at all times, and use anything you can find to fight off the encroaching terrors of Winterlake.
The trailer looks very reminiscent of the GameCube and current-gen console remakes of the first three Resident Evil games and definitely nails that traditional survival horror vibe. The graphics look great with a lot of ornately detailed characters, backgrounds, and environments, not to mention gorily elaborate enemy designs. I’m once again thankful a game like this is getting a console release alongside the more traditional PC release.
We’ll see just how well it stacks up against the greats when it debuts. Tormented Souls is currently set to release for PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC sometime in 2021.
Check out the announcement trailer below!