It looks like new horror titles just won’t stop flooding the gate as Jukai Studio, an independent developer formed by industry veterans has now made it official that an upcoming survival horror title, Stray Souls, will be released later this year.
Having dropped an alpha demo for the game last year, Jukai Studio, as well as publisher Versus Evil, announced on IGN that Stray Souls will be coming to PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC via Steam.
The game combines elements of Japanese survival horror with “soulslike precision” and “an array of new tricks, including a variety of randomized systems where enemy encounters, item placement, paranormal activity, and even weather patterns.” No two playthroughs of the game will be the same. With a combination of Soulslike elements and survival horror, the game will hopefully stand out as something unique in a market already saturated with Silent Hill clones.
In the story of Stray Souls, you play as a teenager named Daniel whose grandmother has died and left him her house. On his move-in date, Daniel meets an enigmatic girl who knows much more about his grandmother’s house than he’s been told. Once the sun goes down, the house quickly descends into madness, as Daniel, unfortunately, finds out for himself.
Powered by Unreal Engine 5, Jukai Studio will be using Epic’s Metahuman technology for NPCs in the game. Advanced facial animation technology will capture a wide range of human emotions, adding to a hopefully terrifying experience heightened by this new technology.
- Explore the town of Aspen Falls and surrounding areas to uncover a malevolent plot set in motion at Daniel’s birth.
- Immerse yourself in Daniel’s story. Choose responses at key moments through branching dialogue options, shaping Daniel’s tone and personality.
- Fight hordes of nasty creatures or run for your life. Simplified combat without massive load-outs puts the focus on strategizing combat tactics and resource management.
- Solve dozens of clever puzzles with out-of-the-box solutions to test your wit.
- Randomized systems ensure that enemy encounters, item locations, changing weather patterns, and strange phenomena all occur at various places, making each playthrough unique.
You can view the official Stray Souls announcement trailer below and wishlist the game for PC via Steam.
Stray Souls will release later this year for PC, PlayStation 4 & 5, and Xbox Series S|X.