Considered to be one of the most famous horror films of the last four decades, it’s not surprising that John Carpenter’s The Thing is still influencing people to this day. Fans of such games as Penumbra and The Long Dark may be interested in Buried in Ice, a horror survival RPG game from Polish developers Liquid Engine Development.
Players must survive a harsh wasteland after escaping a burning base, amidst a hostile environment and even more hostile people who have imprisoned you, who have also accused you of killing the crew. The developers describe the story as being one in which you are the last survivor, unarmed against a terrifying threat. Buried In Ice‘s features are described as the following:
- Remember that team play is the key to success. Staying together means staying alive. If you‘re alone for too long, it will bring an end to your story.
- Survive in the most unfriendly environment on Earth. Remember that hunger, cold, stress, or contamination can be as fatal as the THING that’s hunting you.
- Test your moral boundaries. Co-operate with other members of the team, help them survive or steal, cheat, run away, destroy, and kill. It’s up to you how this story will end.
- Trust no one. Teamwork might be the only key to survival, but at the same time, you’ll never be sure who remained human and who was already possessed by the THING.
- Remember that time is running out. Try to either escape or kill the THING as soon as possible because if you happen to become the last one standing, it may mean that you’re not human anymore…
Yeah, we’re definitely on board as this being something inspired by the 1980s classic that we’d want to play. Whether it will have the same jaw-dropping effects that the film (masterfully done by Rob Bottin) had will remain to be seen.
At the moment, there is no release date, but there are some more details about the game on Buried In Ice‘s official Steam page. They also say the game will come out on consoles, though they don’t say which ones. However, we will endeavor to bring more information as soon as we hear it.
For now, check out the trailer below.