Italian indie game studio Santa Ragione unveiled a new trailer for their upcoming title Saturnalia, a single-player horror-roguelite set in the Italian region of Sardinia, Italy circa 1989. The game is inspired and heavily influenced by the folklore of Sardinia, a region rich with unique traditions and culture. In it, you play four characters, who experience a deeply connected storyline that ties back to the haunting traditions of an ancient village.
The one-of-a-kind setting of the game is the village of Gravoi, which is procedurally generated for each new playthrough, ensuring that no two players will share the same layout. When you die, you watch as the village reconfigures itself into a new form.
Players must also solve puzzles and open shortcuts to new areas with tools and items they find along the way, unlocking every piece of the story with different characters, each with their own power and suited for another aspect of exploration and investigation. Players will have to explore and solve the mysteries of the game largely unguided.
With a limited supply of matches to light their way and darkness encroaching, the band of misfits which makes up your four-person team must find their way through the fog to reveal the truth or risk being engulfed by the secrets of the ancient village.
- The village structure changes each time all your characters die
- Discover characters’ special abilities, use tools and consumables to open shortcuts
- Keep narrative and puzzle progress across game-overs (roguelite)
- Manage your supply of matches to help your sight and solve puzzles
- Non-linear progression, dynamic and adaptive narrative
- Investigate the ritual at the heart of the game and use what you find to stop it
- Puzzles that are deeply integrated with the game world and narrative (not abstract)
- Artwork and animations inspired by stop-motion and rotoscoping film techniques
Saturnalia will be coming exclusively to the Epic Games Store on PC with more platforms to be announced in the future.
Check out the brand new official gameplay overview trailer below.