Today, renowned indie horror production and publication label DreadXP announced the launch of children’s cartoon-themed horror game Amanda the Adventurer for PC.
Developed by MANGLEDmaw Games, Amanda the Adventurer is a found footage-style horror title that’s a throwback to the television edutainment era of the 1990s. Players will laugh, learn, and lament over the suffering for which they’ll soon endure.
In Amanda the Adventurer, players take on the role of Riley Park, who inherits their Aunt Kate’s house following her death. Starting with the seemingly banal task of digging through their reclusive aunt Kate’s attic, Riley comes across multiple VHS tapes. At first glance, the videos seem innocently childish and charming, depicting two best buddies — Amanda and Wooly — in an edutainment-styled escapade.
As Riley watches more and more episodes of the titular Amanda the Adventurer, a creeping, sickening feeling emerges that something is watching back. Riley soon realizes that Amanda and Wooly seem to be communicating directly through the television set.
A gnawing feeling in the back of their mind presses them to stop, but Riley is compelled to continue watching the tapes. It’s almost as if Amanda needs something, and Riley becomes fascinated with finding out what that something may be.
- Fun-Filled Episodes!: Featuring several play-along, laugh-along, and learn-along episodes, there’s always fun to be had with Amanda. Just don’t upset her, OK?
- A New Take on Analog Horror: Discover animated tapes that tell a progressively more unsettling story, all under the guise of a welcoming children’s cartoon
- Nostalgia in Full Force: Play through classic, ‘90’s-style CGI that recalls a simpler era of animation
- You Talking to Me?: Amanda the Adventurer brings back the familiar format of characters who interact directly with the viewer — a dream come true for any ‘90s kid… or is it a nightmare?
- Want to Hear a Secret?: Use your wits and think outside of the stained box to uncover secret VHS tapes and unlock new narrative paths that lead to different endings!
Amanda the Adventurer is available now on Windows PC (and is Steam Deck Playable) via Steam for $8.99 USD.
You can follow and engage with DreadXP on Twitter, YouTube, TikTok, Instagram, and Facebook, and join the community on Discord.